How to Get Rid of Car Mold
No one wants to find out that their car is full of mold, but if you’ve noticed discolored fabric or the smell of sour milk, then it’s too late for denial. You may be tempted to avoid the problem with seat covers and an air freshener, but if you notice the sight or smell of mold in your used Dodge Dart or other vehicle, it’s essential to take action right away.
Steps to Car Mold Removal
Before you start, make sure you’ve covered your bases:
- Remove any trash or wet clothing from your vehicle. These can spread or store mold spores and will cause the problem to return if they’re not taken care of.
- Protecting your car from storms is an essential task for vehicle owners, as water damage can quickly cause mold to form. Make sure that your interior stays dry at all times, especially if you’re trying to prevent mold from returning.
With these steps behind you, you’re ready to start the mold removal process:
- Use a dry vacuum to clean the car interior as thoroughly as possible.
- Choose your preferred mold cleaner. An organic option like white vinegar and hot water can work wonders. Baking soda can help to deal with odors and may be especially effective against black mold. Bleach mixed with water can also kill mold spores, but you risk damaging the colors in your interior.
- Spray the interior with the mold cleaner you’ve chosen. You can spray the cleaner anywhere, and it’s always a good idea to be as thorough as possible.
- Keep the doors open to accelerate the drying process, and leave the windows down until you’re sure things are completely dry.
In some cases, multiple rounds of cleaning may be necessary. If this DIY car cleaning process doesn’t work for you, you may be able to use the upholstery attachment with a professional wet dry vacuum in order to get rid of mold completely.
More Car Mold Removal Tips
- It’s a bad idea to try and clean black mold without a dust mask. If you inhale these spores, they can make it more difficult to breathe.
- If you’d like to try a professional mold cleaner, consider an enzyme-based solution. Many different kinds are available at your local hardware store.
- Don’t trust a run-of-the-mill car wash to take care of your mold problem. If you need help, bring your vehicle to a professional car cleaning service that specializes in this type of service.
- If you want to make sure that you’ve killed the mold in your vehicle, spray every piece of fabric down with your cleaner. Mold spores travel quickly and easily, and you can never be sure where they’ll end up.
Cactus Jack's Auto Has Your Back!
Whether you’re getting ready to sell your car or you’ve just run into trouble with water damage, Cactus Jack's Auto is here to help you take care of your mold problem. We can also help you remove smoke smell in a flash! The experts on our team have seen it all, so you can come to us with confidence, no matter what sort of car maintenance issue you’re facing.
More From Cactus Jack's Auto
If you’ve been on the hunt for a used vehicle that you can depend on, you know how easy it is to end up in the wrong car! Although there are many benefits to buying used, those who fail to do their research can wind up behind the wheel of a real junker. Knowing what…
Maintaining a used car is no easy task, and drivers from all walks of life may need to learn how to remove stickers from a car at one point or another. Whether you’re cleaning up after a previous owner or moving things around to make a better first impression, the process can be easy and…
When you visit a state as gorgeous as Arizona, you owe it to yourself to explore the scenery! And while there are tons of wonderful parks in Mesa and landmarks in Phoenix, hiking in Tucson is an experience like no other. What are the most popular hiking trails around Tucson? The folks at Cactus Jacks…